VNI Keyboard Layout

Windows, Linux/Unix, Solaris, Mac OS X, Palm,...

VNI Keyboard Layout

Postby quyen1625 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:40 pm

Can anyone please help me with the VNI keyboard layout? I downloaded the Vietnamese package, installed it, but still have no idea how to do this. I just recently bought a Mac OS X and I am so clueless about using unicode. I heard that you could use unicode with a VNI keyboard layout, is this correct? Also, will this work in InDesign, MS Word, and Photoshop?
I could type da^'u huye^`n and da^'u sa('c but that is about it, everything else, I'd get a (pink) square block. Could someone help me plz... Thanks!
quyen1625

Postby herr » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:29 am

First, make sure that you have Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) and the latest version (1.3) of the Vietnamese keyboard layouts.

To type with the VNI keyboard layout after installation, you have to activate it in System Preferences->International->Input Menu. Check the box next to "Vietnamese-VNI". I also recommend to check "Keyboard Viewer" because this will help you to learn to type with different keyboard layouts. Whenever you wish to type, select "Vietnamese-VNI" in the input menu. To see a graphical representation of the layout, select "Keyboard Viewer" from the input menu as well.

MS Word 2004 (not the older MS Word X) is compatible with Vietnamese Unicode and the Vietnamese-VNI keyboard layout. About InDesign I do not know. Photoshop 7.0 is not compatible.

You still may type Vietnamese in non-Unicode applications such as Photoshop 7.0 or MS Word X if you use VNI or ISC fonts as opposed to Unicode fonts. Version 1.3 of the Vietnamese keyboard layouts package includes two layouts, "Vietnamese-Telex (ISC)" and "Vietnamese-Telex (VNI)" for this purpose. As the name says, both are Telex-style layouts, not VNI-style. If you are interested in a VNI-style layout for either ISC or VNI fonts, please let me know, and also which of the two encodings you would like to use.
herr

Postby quyen1625 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:02 pm

Thank you so much herr for your help!! I will try this out. Also, I am using Photoshop CS, do you think that would make any difference as far as how unicode works?
quyen1625

Postby herr » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:29 pm

I have not tried Photoshop CS but have read that it is the first version to support Unicode. It is likely that the Vietnamese keyboard layouts will work as well. Please share your experiences.

Of the applications I use, BBEdit recently became fully Unicode-compatible.
herr

Postby tigermac » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:34 am

Thanks you Herr
you are kind man
love to hear that
quote]
If you are interested in a VNI-style layout for either ISC or VNI fonts, please let me know, and also which of the two encodings you would like to use.[/quote]

VNI-style (roman) for VNI font: Yes, pls help

2 encoding we like to use:
1. VNI
2. BK

(Sorry for my English)
tigermac

Return to Hệ Điều Hành - Operating System